As we're all spending most of our time at home, this may be the perfect time to evaluate the safety of your home's electrical system. The electricity that powers our lives has become to commonplace that people sometimes forget the importance of using it safely. Nobody makes electrical safety more of a priority than those who rely upon it every single day. Which is why there's no better way to ensure you can use electricity safely in your home than by learnign about our lineman approved electrical safety tips.
Here are a few areas of your home to check for electrical safety, but take it a step further by navigating our interactive online tool at pvrea.coop/electrical-safety.
- Electrical outlets: Faulty electrical outlets are a leading cause in home fires. As outlets age, so do the wires behind them that you can't see. Any loose, damaged or warm-to-the-touch outlets should be repaired or replaced.
- Electrical wiring: Outdated wiring is another common cause of electrical fires. Frequently tripped breakers, flickering lights and burning smells are clear warning signs. If your home is more than 20 years old, it may not be able to handle today's increased power load. If you suspect your home's wiring is outdated, leave this one to the pros and contact a qualified electrician.
- Overloaded cords and outlets: Extension cords are not permanent solutions. If your big-screen TV, home theater system and other electronics are plugged into one extension cord, it's time to call an electrician and install additional outlets.
- Old appliances: Older appliances are more likely to have loose or damaged wiring, which means they're more likely to catch fire. Check older appliances for damage and determine f it's time to upgrade or replace. Also check to ensure you're using appliance-grade outlets. A qualified electrician can help with installation.